Great Teachers for 21st Century
June 19-June 20, 2019
Want to be part of the faculty learning community this summer to learn how to integrate Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) principles and best practices in your course syllabus, materials/modules? If so, please apply to join the 2019 Summer Institute (SI) on June 19-20, 2019! Applications for the 2019 Summer Institute are open from Monday May 6 to 4:00pm Monday May 20, 2019. The selection of SI participants will be done with a lottery system. Final participants will be notified by May 22 via campus e-mail. Each participant will receive $300 stipend for your active participation and successful completion of the SI, 2019. Thank you and we look forward to seeing you at the Institute!
– 2019 FD Summer Institute Planning Committee
Theme: Integrating Innovative Teaching and Learning Strategies to close the gap and increase accessibility
Goals: Participants will attend all the workshops to integrate Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) principles and best practices in their course syllabus, materials/modules with solid deliverables by the end of the two-day Summer Institute.
- to rekindle learning and refresh enthusiasm for supporting students
- to deepen commitment to EDI and effectively integrate EDI principles in teaching and learning
- to further strengthen the Guided Pathways initiatives at each campus
- to have hands-on learning opportunities to sharpen your skills and stay current with 21st century teaching approaches
- to interact and learn from your facilitators and peers on innovative teaching and assessment ideas and techniques
- to build a faculty learning community to sustain the Great Teachers’ efforts, and many more…
Sample workshop and breakout session topics:
- Integrating EDI principles in teaching, learning and assessment
- TILT – Dive-in work to develop concrete course assignments using the TILT guidelines
- Assessment, understanding / Disaggregating Data
- Innovative and interactive techniques and tools to engage students in active learning
- Integrating technology in instruction, e.g., Zoom, Google docs, record live lecturers
- Just in Time Teaching (JITT) for Science and other disciplines
Participants will attend all the workshops to integrate EDI principles and best practices in their course syllabus, materials/modules with solid deliverables by the end of the two-day Summer Institute. The deliverables will be shared during the second day of the institute.
- All the produced instructional materials will be posted on the district FD website, http://facdev.seattlecolleges.edu, and will be available to share at each campus.
- Mid-Fall/end Fall quarter, FD follows up with participants
- Winter PD day- Plan a Post-SI workshop at each campus. (Participants will be invited as facilitators)
Participants: 30 faculty members with 10 from each campus will participate in the two-day summer institute. Each will receive $300 stipend upon active participation and successful completion of the SI. FD SI planning team will use a lottery system to select the candidates. Final participants will be notified by May 22 via campus e-mail. This year the SI will be held at Seattle Central from June 19-20, 2019. Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you at the Institute! Apply here