Culturally Responsive Teaching for Great Teachers
Online 2021 Summer Institute for you!
June 22-23, 2021
This is a challenging time but also a great opportunity for faculty to rekindle learning and sharpen instructional skills to support students learning. Participants will attend all the hands-on workshops to integrate Culturally Responsive Teaching (CRT) and Racial Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) principles, strategies and innovative technological tools as well as best practices in their course syllabus, materials/modules with solid deliverables by the end of the two-day Summer Institute.
Engage in and interact with faculty peers to learn: Culturally Responsive Teaching Approaches and Innovative Teaching and Learning
Theme: Integrating Culturally Responsive Teaching (CRT) approaches and innovative teaching and learning strategies to close equity gaps and increase students success.
Purpose: Participants will attend all the hands-on workshops to integrate Culturally Responsive Teaching (CRT) and Racial Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) principles, strategies, innovative technology and tools, and best practices in their course syllabus, materials/modules with solid deliverables by the end of the two-day Summer Institute.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Rekindle learning and refresh enthusiasm to support student’s success
- Deepen commitment to CRT and EDI and effectively integrate CRT and EDI principles and approaches in teaching and learning
- Engaged in hands-on learning opportunities to sharpen your skills and stay current with innovative teaching strategies and techniques especially with remote and hybrid learning
- Further strengthen the Guided Pathways initiatives at each campus
- Interact and learn from your facilitators and peers on innovative teaching and assessment ideas and techniques
- Build a faculty learning community to sustain the Great Teachers’ efforts and many more…
- Complete the pre-SI activities by June 21 and get ready for the SI.
- Attend both days of workshops to integrate CRT and EDI principles and approaches, innovative tools and best practices in their course syllabi, curriculum and course materials.
- Produce your project with solid deliverables which integrate at least two strategies/techniques learned from the SI by the end of the two-day Summer Institute.
- Show and share your project ( 5 minutes) during the second day of the institute.
Criteria for Success: These criteria will be used for successful completion of the Summer Institute (SI):
- You are punctual and have actively participated in the two-day Summer Institute.
- You have completed the project with your best effort following the assignment instructions and presented your project on Day 2 of the SI.
- You have submitted the SI survey feedback and the final assignments on time.
- You have gained new knowledge and skills and are ready to implement CRT, TILT and other innovative approaches and strategies in teaching and professional development.
Note: All the produced instructional materials will be kept in the 2021 SI Canvas course and the SI PPT will be posted on the district FD website, http://facdev.seattlecolleges.edu, and will be available to share at each campus.
The innovative work produced from the Institute will be displayed at the 2021 District Day. We hope you’ll actively engage in and interact with your faculty peers during the two-day online summer institute.
Yilin and the 2021 Summer Institute Planning Team
Faculty Development, Seattle Colleges