- This event has passed.
2019 FD Summer Institute
June 19 @ 8:00 am - June 20 @ 5:00 pm
Great Teachers for 21st Century
Summer Institute for you!
Want to be part of the faculty learning community this summer to learn how to integrate Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) principles and best practices in your course syllabus, materials/modules? If so, please apply to join the 2019 Summer Institute (SI) on June 19-20, 2019! Applications for the 2019 Summer Institute are open from Monday May 6 to Monday, May 20, 2019. The selection of SI participants will be done with a lottery system. Final participants will be notified on May 22 via campus e-mail. $300 stipend will be provided to each participant upon active participation and successful completion. Thank you and we look forward to seeing you at the Institute! – 2019 FD Summer Institute Planning Committee
Engage in and interact with facilitators and faculty peers to learn:
Integrating Innovative Teaching and Learning Strategies to close the gap and increase accessibility
Goals: Participants will attend all the hands-on workshops to integrate Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) principles and best practices in their course syllabus, materials/modules with solid deliverables by the end of the two-day Summer Institute.
- to rekindle learning and refresh enthusiasm for supporting students
- to deepen commitment to EDI and effectively integrate EDI principles in teaching and learning
- to have hands-on learning opportunities to sharpen your skills and stay current with 21st century teaching approaches
- to interact and learn from your facilitators and peers on innovative teaching and assessment ideas and techniques
- to build a faculty learning community to sustain the Great Teachers’ efforts
Sample workshop and breakout session topics:
- Integrating EDI principles in teaching, learning and assessment
- TILT – Dive-in work to develop concrete course assignments using the TILT guidelines
- Assessment, understanding / Disaggregating Data
- Innovative and interactive techniques and tools to engage active learning
- Integrating technology in instruction, e.g., Zoom, Google docs, record live lecturers
- Just in Time Teaching (JITT) for Science and other disciplines
Participants will attend all the workshops to integrate EDI principles and best practices in their course syllabus, materials/modules with solid deliverables by the end of the two-day Summer Institute.
The deliverables will be shared during the second day of the institute. All the produced instructional materials will be posted on the district FD website and will be available to share at each campus.
Mid-Fall/end Fall quarter follow up with participants; Winter PD day-Plan a Post-SI workshop at each campus. (Participants will be invited to facilitate a post-SI workshop at each campus with additional stipend.)
Participants: 30 faculty members with 10 from each campus will participate in the two-day summer institute. Each will receive $300 stipend upon active participation and successful completion of the SI. FD SI planning team will use a Lottery system to select the candidates. Final participants will be notified on May 22 via campus e-mail. This year it will be held at Seattle Central from June 19-20, 2019. Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you at the Institute! Apply here
– 2019 FD Summer Institute Planning Committee
For more info, contact Yilin Sun, FD Coordinator at FD@seattlecolleges.edu or email@example.com