Great Teachers with Unlimited Opportunities
Online 2020 Summer Institute for you
This is a challenging time but also a great opportunity for faculty to rekindle learning and sharpen instructional skills to support students learning. Want to be part of the faculty learning community this summer to learn how to integrate innovative tools, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) principles, and best practices in your course syllabus, materials/modules? If so, please apply to join the 2020 online Summer Institute (SI) on June 24-25, or June 29-30, 2020! This year, we’ll offer two sessions due to high demand from faculty. Applications for the 2020 Summer Institute are open from May 7 – May 22 (due Friday, May 22, 2020). The selection of SI participants will be done with a lottery system. Final participants will be notified on May 26 via campus e-mail. Thank you and we look forward to seeing you at the Institute! – 2020 FD Summer Institute Planning Committee
Engage in and interact with faculty peers to learn:
Innovative Teaching and Learning Strategies to close the achievement gap and increase accessibility
Goals: Participants will attend all the hands-on workshops to integrate Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) principles, innovative technology and tools, and best practices in their course syllabus, materials/modules with solid deliverables by the end of the two-day Summer Institute.
- Rekindle learning and refresh enthusiasm to support student’s success
- Deepen commitment to EDI and effectively integrate EDI principles in teaching and learning
- Enjoy hands-on learning opportunities to sharpen your skills and stay current with innovative teaching approaches and techniques especially with remote learning
- Further strengthen the Guided Pathways initiatives at each campus
- Interact and learn from your facilitators and peers on innovative teaching and assessment ideas and techniques
- Build a faculty learning community to sustain the Great Teachers’ efforts and many more…
Sample workshop topics:
- Strategies for Working with Gen Z and young college students
- Integrating EDI principles in teaching, learning using the TILT/EDI guidelines and principals
- Effective use of Zoom/MS Teams for Instruction and student conferencing
- Integrating technology in instruction, (Google docs, record lecturers, Close caption, Youtube, Panopto, etc.
- Self-care and Dealing with Emotions
- Kicking up a notch – Building on what you already know about technology tools
- Strategies for assessing online student learning
Participants will attend all the workshops to integrate EDI principles and best practices in their course syllabus, materials/modules with solid deliverables by the end of the two-day Summer Institute.
The deliverables will be shared during the second day of the institute. All the produced instructional materials will be posted on the district FD website, SI Canvas shell and will be available to share at each campus.
Mid-Fall/end Fall quarter follow up with participants; Winter PD day-Plan a Post-SI workshop at each campus. (Participants will be invited to facilitate a post-SI workshop at each campus with additional stipend.)
Participants: 20 faculty members with 6-7 from each campus will participate in the two-day summer institute for each session. Each will receive $500 stipend upon active participation and successful completion of the SI. FD SI planning team will use a Lottery system to select the candidates. Final participants will be notified on May 26 via campus e-mail. Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you at the Institute! Application is closed.
– 2020 FD Summer Institute Planning Committee